Monday, 13 July 2009

HK & Singapore update

So HK was cool as expected and I had a good visit there with mi familia. We did quite a bit of sightseeing even though the weather was mostly shit. I love that city.

The main reason for this post though is Singapore and the revelation I had that it is way cooler than I expected.

First of all, they allow gum. Just not the selling of it. So after I entered passport control hiding my gum stealthily on the roof of my mouth (and well into the rest of Friday evening), I was told by some expat dude that they do allow you to put chewing gum in your mouth and in fact chew it in the light of day...right in front of the authorities.

Aside from that little tidbit, I learned that Singapore is basically like a working and efficient version of SE Asia which was kind of a nice break from KL. People there seem pretty friendly and there seems to be a big number of younger expats.

It's also relatively easy and cheap to get around by metro which was definitely a nice break from KL with 99% of its cab drivers being rip off artist fucks. A hearty fuck you to all my Malaysian cabbies reading this.

Singapore also has a number of cool historic hoods where you can get bomb Indian, Chinese, or Malay food for pretty cheap (if you know where to go..which I didn't). Hawker stands though seem to be all around and offer really good food and drinks 24 hours a day.

To sum Singapore up: I could see myself living there and I may be looking into a getting a job there sometime in the not so distant future.

1 comment:

travelbug said...

i love sing and hk!! woot woot!